This page contains everything you need to make your own meadow collage:
- A link to instruction video
- Written instructions
- Templates for flowers
- Selection of meadow photographs
Hope you enjoy it!
First of all, here’s the video...
and here are the written instructions:
A collage is a picture made by sticking things like paper scraps onto a background.
You will need:
• A3 size paper
• card (such as a cereal box)
• paper scraps - anything interesting and colourful - sweet wrappers, wallpaper, magazines
• paint - for the background or just use coloured paper
To make your collage:
1. Choose a meadow photo – either one provided (see below) or use one of your own. This is just a guide for making your collage, you don’t have to try to copy it.
2. Paint a background on the A3 paper, landscape layout - this is your meadow. Paint a strip of sky at the top and the rest another colour for the meadow. You can have a blue sky and a green meadow, or you can use different colours to get a surprising effect. If you have no paint, use coloured paper for the background and if you want, stick on a strip of sky.
3. Next, make templates for the wildflowers. Print out the template sheet and stick it onto the card. When the glue is dry, cut out the templates. You can make your own templates too – if you do, draw them straight on the card but remember to keep the shapes simple.
4. Now make the flowers. Choose some paper scraps. You often get the best results by keeping to just a few colours. Place the templates on the paper, draw round them and cut them out. Use the templates over and over to make lots of flowers and leaves. You don’t need to use every shape. For stalks or blades of grass, cut out plenty of strips.
5. Now look at your photo and arrange your cut-out flowers on the painted background so that they create a meadow effect. Start with smaller ones at the top and then work downwards, adding larger and larger ones so that they look as if they are growing in front of each other. Some pieces may not stick down fully, but this adds to the effect. Go on adding flowers, stalks, leaves and grass until you have a meadow full of flowers.
Here’s another link to the flower template:
And here are some meadow photos you might want to use as your model image, or you can take your own photo, or just use your imagination!